Look for updates here on activities occurring in Career Ed.
Practical and Applied Arts is a generally integrated set of activities focused on skills that support or enhance learning. This year, I will focus on two broad categories.
- Integration of technology. Students will learn how to use cloud storage for sharing and collaboration as well specific features of Microsoft tools including Word, PowerPoint and Excel. This school year, students will be required to produce polished written compositions using Word templates, deliver individual and group presentations using PowerPoint and build graphs using Excel. I plan to do some coding as well, time permitting. It teaches algorithmic thinking and it's actually quite fun. My hope is to improve mathematical thinking as a benefit.
- Television production. This winter, all students will participate in the Telemedia program ultimately producing both an interview and television commercial at our studio. This current edition was produced by me for use by teachers in our division.
- MS Word training
- Practice Activity
- working with a partner, the teams will develop a short Lego film using stop motion animation. This activity has a mix composition and technical activity. Techniques will be demonstrated in class. The final assembly can be done on user owned iPads or phones, personal computers or on school supplied gear. Students will be using tripods and cameras, video editing software, audio editing software and Lego to produce their projects. While the films will be short, the process will take a couple of months worth of classes to complete.
- project details
- rubric - use this to evaluate the quality of each step in the process.
- story summary doc - a duplicate of the one provided in class. Print it out if you need to a redo,
- simplified storyboard (paper version supplied in class). This is a form which you can type into. If you use the Edge browser, you can right click, save as, and then open the file later to edit. Chrome will let you save each page but you can not edit afterward. The steps will be demonstrated in class.